This post contains affiliate links. If you click them, I make a couple of cents toward bringing my A game helping you find work clothes! For more details on how that works, read this.
A while back I posted this article extolling the virtues of a certain Lands End sheath dress. (Affiliate Link) Since I’m always looking for a great, versatile dress for work I was immediately interested. I posted the link on the Facebook Page and judging by the response, you guys were ALSO very interested! A little black dress is as versatile in a work setting as in a casual one, so I bought one! (Twist my arm, right?) I am 5’4″/150lb. and I ordered a 6, which is what I needed according to the Land’s End sizing chart. Here are my thoughts:
Right out of the box: GREAT fabric. It’s ponte knit, which is like a heavy jersey fabric. It’s thicker than regular jersey fabric (and infinitely more forgiving) but still has the stretch like jersey does. Bonus: VERY tough to wrinkle.
First Try On:
- It’s a teeny bit snug in the waist area, but nothing that a good set of Spanx can’t fix. (Click that Spanx link. I promise you won’t be disappointed.)
- IT HAS POCKETS. I mean, the advertisement picture has pockets but I must have completely forgotten this very important fact. For some reason, a dress with pockets is an immediate sell for me. I might wear a garbage bag if it had pockets.
- This thing is so comfortable.
First Wear Out of the House:
I wore this dress to a very fun event, the Market Street Blogger Crawl. It was a good excuse to get out of the house, look at some fun/fancy clothes and talk to some of the local bloggers! (And also, booze.) I wore it with these sold out Ann Taylor Earrings in Orange (Here’s a similar pair), this necklace and these flats. I didn’t think ahead enough to get a photo, but here’s one from a different day. (Affiliate Links)
- It’s a little too long for flats. I have wedges on in the above photo and it’s perfect. Wearing flats just made it looks a little dowdy.
- It held up in the heat. We live near Houston and it is HOT in the summer. I didn’t feel suffocated, which is rare, especially in a black dress. It was very breathable.
- The dress worked really well as a day to night piece. It’s a great basic, is made really well and will stand up to the test of time, style wise. It would be very easy to “button up” for work and then switch to a more edgy style for a night out.
GREAT BUY! If you work in an office and need an easy “throw it on and go” outfit this is a good pick. A little lipstick, a messy bun and some fancy earrings and people will think you actually tried instead of snoozing your alarm 6 times.
Click HERE to go to the Land’s End website and check it out yourself!